tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Mac Genius
Experience:  Computer specialist.
62741268

My retina ipad has stopped charging, I purchased both a usb

Customer Question

my retina ipad has stopped charging, I purchased both a usb charging cable and brick charger i need help on solving my problem my ipad was purchased two years ago serial # ***** ***** PART # ME277LLA
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 8 months ago.

This sounds like it may be a hardware problem with the Lightning or Dock connector.

Try a hard reboot first>

1. Press and hold down both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time.
  2. Keep them held down until you see an Apple logo.
  3. Then let go.

Once your iPad has rebooted, try plugging it in again. If it starts to charge, you're good. If that fails try this next please>

• The only other option to rule out the firmware in the iPad will be a factory restore.
  • The process for restoring an iPhone begins by wiping the iPad, which puts it into the same clean state it was when you first got it out of the box.
  • But before you take this step, you must make sure your iPad has been backed up to the iCloud.
  • You can verify your iCloud backup by going into the iPad settings and choosing iCloud from the menu.
  • In the iCloud settings, choose Storage and Backup. This will take you to a screen that will display the last time the iPad was backed up to iCloud.
  • Once you verify the backup, you are ready to begin the process. You will start by erasing all data and settings from the iPad, which puts it into a clean state,
  • Go to General from the Settings icon. . Scroll all the way down in the General settings until you see "Reset".
  • From this menu, choose "Erase All Content and Settings".
  • Once this complete, go through the initial set up and then choose to restore from a backup, you will be taken to a screen where you can choose from your last backup.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!

Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 8 months ago.

If that doesnt work you can try the following steps

1. Plug your ipad into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Turn off the ipad.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
  4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
  5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Try a hard reboot first>

3. Then let go.

• You can also connect the USB cable to the iPhone, but leave the other end of the cable disconnected from your computer's USB port.
  • press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time.
  • When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.
  • While pressing and holding the Home button, connect the USB cable to the computer. The device should turn on.
  • Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.
  • When this screen appears you can release the Home button:
  • Then use iTunes to restore the iPhone.

Thank you very much!