Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a 2007 a1226 Macbook pro model After a GPU repair I

Customer Question

I have a 2007 a1226 Macbook pro modelAfter a GPU repair I have been unable to get the OSX back to where it was.I have to use the 10.6 install disc to format and partition the HD. It will not clean up from Command/R rescue mode.I have loaded 10.6.3 from the disc, then I have to install 10.6.7 then 10.6.8I then load 10.8 no the app store does not let me load 10.11 from 10.6.8I have done this twice today, first time I attempted to install 10.11 from 10.8 after loading it would not bootI started over this time I installed 10.8.5 and it won't boot after the upgrade. If I hold the shift key it tries to start in safe mode then starts in the normal mode but does not function properly.If any one can shed some light on this let me know
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

About the GPU repair......who did the repair? Was it a Apple certified repair technician and shop?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my guy is excellent!!!! Apple created the disaster which is the nvidia supplied gpus they had to recall on the 1226. my guy is as good as they come and has a booming business repairing MBs so excuse me if I'm not ready to hail Apple, I think Apple hardware is less than quality. My guy has replaced 100's of nvidia failures over the years and he sees them fail all the time, next?

In the past Apple Hardware was all proprietary......but now.....not so much.
They use same CPU's and GPU's as the rest of the computing world.

.

So, your having issues with a product that has known RECALLED components, and now that the recalled component has been replaced.....the issue is not yet resolved, or more issues have risen.

.

Honestly.....i dont think your going to get any help without the tech being able to take this thing apart and swap out parts for KNOWN good parts (components) at a tech bench.

But i will OPT-out to allow others to take a stab at it.

Cheers Mate!

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

I have never heard of anyone doing only a GPU repair as that is an integral part of the motherboard on a MacBook but anyway.... can you give me the serial number? You cannot run anything higher than Lion on a MacBook 2007 see here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202575