Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I was importing photos and videos off my iPhone, they did

Customer Question

I was importing photos and videos off my iPhone, they did not import and they deleted off my phone, how can I get them back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 8 months ago.

Hello there!My name if Johnny Mack and I will be assisting you today. Have you ever connected your ipjhon to your computer before doing this transfer? If so we might be able to salvage some of your photos. Also i like to point out that if you have photo stream ( its a service that comes with icloud) your pictures will be saved there as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the phone was previously connected

Great! Lets follow the steps below.

First we need to make a backup

open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
Save content that you downloaded from the iTunes Store or App Store by clicking File > Devices > Transfer Purchases. If you're using Windows and you don't see a File menu, press the Alt key.
Wait for iTunes to finish transferring your purchases. Then, click File > Devices > Back up. If you're using Windows and you don't see a File menu, press the Alt key.
After the process ends, you can see if your backup finished successfully by clicking iTunes Preferences > Devices. You should see the name of your device with the date and time that iTunes created the backup.

Then, click File > Devices > Restore. We will need to select the restore point with the date closest to today then select restore. Wait for the iphone to finish then check your photos again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am waiting for the transfer... some of the photos that did import are split, is there a way to fix that?

What do you mean split ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is what it looks like.

Thanks! Those photos i am sorry to say are damaged digitally ( either when the photo was taken or saved). We really cant do much other then make sure this doesnt happen again which mean we would need to restore your iOS system to get the camera apps files/permissions fixed which was probably causing that to happen.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The phone is only an iPhone 4 and so I actually can't update because it is so old. Do you think that may be why the videos did not import properly?

Its possible as updates are meant to fix issues ( sometimes like the one your having) but we can just reinstall the same version you have now and see if that corrects the issue. Also one more thing we can try is restoring multiple back ups and see if there is a change.Its up to you if you have time to do each one whatever you choose ill be here to assist :)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I'll try reinstalling now.

ill be here

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can I choose to restore to the iCloud backup or do i have to restore to the computer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried to restore but the only backup that it will let me restore to is the one that I did in the steps you gave me. When I looked at other backups that I could restore to it only showed me the one I did way back in December. There is a backup that is to the iCloud that was after I took the videos but before they disappeared. Is there a way I can restore to this backup?

Yes we can restore the icloud backup. Just follow these steps.

Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.” From the apps Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

Just checking to make sure you issue was resolveD?