Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

How do I use a magnifying glass - when I hover over a

Customer Question

How do I use a magnifying glass - when I hover over a section of the screen - I'd like to show a round magnifying glass - then take a screen shot and share it with other folks. I use snag it to grab screen shots but can't figure out how to get the magnifying round glass? I have mac - running el capitan and using chrome
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Go to System Preferences > Accessibility. Select Zoom in left side. Enable "Use Keyboard shortcuts to Zoom" option.

Now click Picture in Picture in Zoom Style.

To enable or disable Zoom, press Command, Option and 8 at same time.

To increase/decrease the size of Zoom, press Command, Option and + or -

Let me know how it goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

To take screen shot press Command, Shift and 3

To make a screenshot of a particular area of screen, press Command, Shift and 4. Select the area and the screenshot will be saved to desktop

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi there - I tried the magnify and it opened up a rectangular magnifying glass not a circle - it also was hard to turn it off - I had to go to system preference. Maybe what I'm trying to do on my Mac isn't possible. To use a hot key to turn on the magnifying glass - (circle) take a screen shot and then turn it off?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

In latest OS X, it opens rectangular box. It is not hard to turn off. Just press Command, Option and 8 to turn it off and pressing these keys will turn it on again.

While the zoom is on, pressing Command Option and + button will make the contents in that section bigger and pressing Command, Option and - will make it smaller. Make sure you enable "Use Keyboard shortcuts to Zoom" option in System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there any way or chrome add on to make the magnifying glass round?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is the effect I'm going for....from a design standpoint
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

I understand but the Zoom feature of OS X is a rectangular box. I looked for add ons for Chrome but couldn't find any. I will look again

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't find any addon that does that. I've tried some, but many of them will work only for Pics only.

The Mac's zoom feature works well and can be turned on or off by pressing Command, Option and 8. Even though it is rectangle, it works well

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right ok - doesn't solve what I needed, I'll keep looking - thanks for trying....
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.