Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.

My MacBook Air keeps suddenly turning off, even when fully

Customer Question

Hi! My MacBook Air keeps suddenly turning off, even when fully charged. can you help me fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 7 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer professional who's been paired with you via

If your MacBook is randomly shutting down despite having a charged battery, etc., it's usually indicative of a problem with the device's logic board. That's not something you can fix on your own, is a fairly complex hardware repair that will require Apple's (or an authorized repair shop's) assistance.

If your computer is less than a year old -- or you have an extended warranty on it -- the repair should be performed, respectively, for free or for the cost of your deductible. Otherwise, the repair is moderately expensive, costing in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars.

Your repair options can be found online at:

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Try this first:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. Then login and see if it still shuts off by itself.

If you are pleased with the quality of service I’ve given you, would you take just a moment to rate me? By doing so, you’ll help other customers by letting them know about your experience working with me, and your positive feedback allows me to be paid for the work I’ve performed. I greatly appreciate it, and hope you will reach back out to me if I can be of any further assistance to you!

How do I rate an answer?
You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates me for my time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that I will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for my answer.