Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.

My MacBook pro has a flashing? folder, I have tried the

Customer Question

My MacBook pro has a flashing ? folder, I have tried the utility desk repair with no fix. any thoughts
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 7 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer professional who has been paired with you via

The symbol you're seeing indicates that your computer is unable to load OS X (your MacBook's operating system). This can be due to either software corruption or a failed/failing hard disk drive.

You mentioned having already run Disk Utility; was your hard drive found? Did Disk Utility report back with any errors? Please let me know and we'll see what else can be done to get your computer running again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hard drive was found and no errors to fix

That's very good news that the problem does not appear to be hardware-related! You should, then, be able to bring your computer operational by reinstalling OS X.

Please note: this process will essentially erase your current OS X installation and all files inside it; it will be like starting with a new computer.

To proceed, please follow these steps:

1. Turn on your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard.
  3. Release the keys after the Apple logo appears.
  4. If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network, or connect your Mac to the Internet using an Ethernet cable.
  5. After the Recovery menu appears, select the option to Install OS X.
  6. Follow the onscreen prompts to select your destination disk and install OS X.

Hi! I'm just checking back in to see if my last suggestion helped resolve your issue? If you're still having trouble or otherwise need assistance, please let me know.