Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I want to free up some space on my 8 year old dessktop Mac,

Customer Question

I want to free up some space on my 8 year old dessktop Mac, but I don't have the "overview" button they ask me to go to after I get into the "About My Computer."
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

To free up space, you have to delete unwanted files, applications, musics, movies etc and then empty the trash.

First lets check what is taking up all the space. For that we're going to use an application named OmniDiskSweeper.

Download Omni Disksweeper from here -->

Use the trial or free version. That application will show the large files that are using the space of your hard drive. So you have to find and remove those unwanted big files that you are not using and empty the trash.

DO NOT delete any system files from System, Library, Private folders etc. If you delete any system files, your Mac will not boot or load. Only delete files which are in your home folder.

Scan with OmniDiskSweeper and it will give you an idea of what is taking up space. It will show large files and its location. Note it down.

Then in Finder, click on GO menu at the top and select Home. This will take you to the home folder. Open each folder and delete unwanted files from there and empty the Trash.

DO NOT trash iPhoto Library, Photos Library or iTunes Library.

Make sure you empty the trash after deleting unwanted files and stuffs

Let me know how it goes.