Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Suddenly my Macbook air will not recognize my iphone. i want

Customer Question

Suddenly my Macbook air will not recognize my iphone. i want to download photos via preview. the import from camera option is greyed out.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: never been a problem before—Suddenly my Macbook air will not recognize my iphone. i want to download photos via preview. the import from camera option is greyed out.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: omg just send me to the person
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Have you tried different USB cable ? Have you tried restarting your Mac ? If not, please do this.

If it still not working, then we can soft-reset your iPhone and see if it works or not. Disconnect it from your Mac. Then press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Connect it to your Mac and see if it works or not.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have tried all of the above. did not work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

When you connect it to your Mac, does the iPhone make any sound ?

Does Image Capture application recognize the iPhone ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it makes a buzzing sound indicating that it is charging. it is not recognized in image capture either.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

To make sure this is not an issue with the Mac, first reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Check iPhone. Does it work now ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi. I have something come up and have to leave for a while, i will log back in later and hopefully we can pick this up. thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Sure. We can continue any time you want. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later.

When you get back, please do the SMC and PRAM reset and let me know the results.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
still not working
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Do you have another Apple device there to test on your Macbook Air ? Or another computer to test the iPhone ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tested another phone on the Macbook Air. It connected and discovered the (other) phone without issue. So the problem would likely be on the original iphone. Can you advise? Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I'm afraid the issue is with iPhone. It could be the lightning port. Let's reset some settings.Goto Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings. Check if it is working or not. Let me know