John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

All of my photos have dissapearred in my iphoto library, I

Customer Question

All of my photos have dissapearred in my iphoto library
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I plugged my phone in and imported some photos. I didn't have a lot of space left on my phone so after double checking that all of my photos since November 2015 were securely in my iphoto library, I deleted almost all of my photos from my phone. Now only those remaining pictures are in my iphoto library on my mac.
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: I recently downloaded a large number of photos from an old iphoto library onto my computer and I tried to download more but my computer didn't have enough space.
JA: Our top Mac Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mac Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mac Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 10.10.5, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

To start with we need to check some things:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this reset everything? Will I still have everything on my computer?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

No it will not reset anything it is just checking your hard drive and permissions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all that, it was ok, and I clicked repair disk permissions. Now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I can help you by remote if you can wait a few minutes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to do that
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK then it can be a little more difficult. Give me a minute to get the instructions together

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

k

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Do you have more than one hard drive? Is your iPhoto Library stored in your Home folder in Pictures? Do you have m ore than one iPhoto Library? Is there any reason you are not using the newer Photos app that replaced iPhoto?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an old mac hard drive and the one in my computer. I also have another external one but I don't know how to use it. No I don't know where my iphoto library is stored. I think I have two on my computer but I can't access the one from my old hard drive, I only extracted pictures from it. And no I use iphoto because thats where they go automatically when I plug mt phone in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully I answered all of your questions, I'm not very good at this
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

That is why it is easier if I can see your computer are you sure you don't want to do that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK then it is not easy for me try quitting iPhoto then hold Option and open iPhoto do you see more than one Library listed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just one library
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

And it is empty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only has my last import in it which is about 22 photos but I had about 2000 in it previously
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK quit iPhoto open Terminal in Applications / Utilities copy and past this line at the command prompt then hit Return:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Then hold down the Option or ALT (if outside the USA) and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild. Or if you don't have boxes just select Rebuild the Database

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I just noticed you said your computer was out of space how did you fix that problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't I don't know what to do about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the rebuild thing and I still just shows the 22 photos
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK in that case I really need to see your computer to help you. Since you don't want to do that I'm opting out. Good luck...

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify some information for me, please. Did the photos in iPhoto vanish immediately after the last import?

Thanks,