Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My macbook pro has screen with flashing folder icon. I've

Customer Question

My macbook pro has white screen with flashing folder icon.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've tried rebooting pressing the command key and r key. When I get into disk utility I only see on x base system
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: It says base system appears to be ok
JA: Our top Mac Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mac Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mac Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold Command R to boot to Recovery HD.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already done that. First thing suggested in google searches. As stated I only see base system (not Macintosh Hd) in DU.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was hoping to get info I couldn't google myself. Thank-you for for time but I was expecting to speak with someone.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Ok you didn't say that was all ther was there... Base system is the recovery partition boot to Internet recovery by holding Option Command R

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

We can speak but that costs extra and really does not help I can give you all the instructions here

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Did you try Option Command R?