John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I accidentally clicked do not save on a word document and am

Customer Question

Hey
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I accidentally clicked do not save on a word document and am trying to retrieve it
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: on a mac, have a previous saved version of the document. Worked an additional 5-6 hours on the document last night. Accidentally closed the new version that i left open over night, and i clicked do not save. Want to retrieve the document
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: that is all
JA: Our top Mac Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mac Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mac Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 8 months ago.

Chances are if the document has not been saved during those 5-6 hours then you may have trouble finding it but, follow the below instructions and see if you can locate a temporary cache of the document;

1) First, if you've restarted since losing the file, look in your trash for a "Recovered items" folder. if not...

2) Microsoft Office has an Autorecovery function that saves some files when, for example, there's a power loss. These files are located in the home folder, in the Library

Press and hold the OPTION key on your keyboard while clicking "Go" in the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen

Select Library.

In Library, open a folder called Application Support.

Open Microsoft.

Open Office.

In that folder are a number of folders, one of which may be Office 2011 AutoRecovery if files are available. Click that, and any files saved by the autorecovery function will be displayed.

3) If the above doesn't work, next, Go to the Finder

select Go in the menu bar and click "Go to Folder..."

type /private/var/folders

and click the Go button.

Look for files or folders named "Word Work File" inside a "Temporary items" folder.

You should option-drag files or folders to the Desktop (or anywhere else) before dropping them on Word's icon. Don't delete anything!

If your file is still cached on the drive somewhere then that is the most likely place, however the cache files do not exist for long.

Recovery of unsaved files is slim so if the above does not turn up a copy of your file, then please don't shoot the messenger. :-)

Sadly, if none of the files or folders were available to be found then no cache of the document remains.

You may want to look over the following help page at your convenience on how to safeguard against loss like this in the future.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mac-powerpoint-help/automatically-save-and-recover-files-HA102927241.aspx

Thanks and good luck!