Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Black screen on old MAC. The "round top". Start up occurs

Customer Question

Black screen on old MAC. The "round top".
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Start up occurs but the scrren never kicks in. I don't remember the operating system. As I remeber it was working fine when last shut down. A couple of years ago.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Can you clarify. Has it been a couple of years since t his mac has been powered on?

Also, do you know what model number of mac this is? If you arent certain, this link can help you locate that info. http://www.everymac.com/mac-identification/how-to-find-apple-model-family-numbers-for-mac-identification.html

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model M6498. Yes, it has been a while (2 years?) since this mac has been powered on. Its storage has been at room temp (75-85 degrees)
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Thank you, Most likely if the mac wasnt powered on it that time one of two issues occured.

Either the pram battery has failed or it needs to be reset. Most likely due to the age of that unit and it sitting for that much time without an electrical current, the battery failed and needs to be replaced.

But lets try to reset it first, heres how

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

If that wont get the machine to show any signs of life. Then you need to replace the pram battery.. Its a process, Heres how.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G4+15-Inch+700+MHz+EMC+1873+PRAM+Battery+Replacement/7030

And here is where you can purchase a new pram battery. http://amzn.to/1XluHLV

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I have already tried the reset. I figured it was the battery. Will the ifixit URL hold open for me while I acquire a battery? I can't believe the only source is DE! --Fred
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

heres a lower cost battery that I was able to locate.. http://www.newertech.com/products/pram_3_6v.php

It should still work. Though, they dont seem to have the longevity or capacity of the other battery I mentioned. So you may have to replace it again in a year.. But its about 10% of the cost of the other battery.. I suppose its a tradeoff.

As far as this conversation and the Ifixit link. This conversation wont close to you even after you rate. Your conversation history and question history is saved on just answer.

When you receive the battery youre welcome to come back to this page and view the ifixit link again, or you can save or book mark the link now. Whichever you prefer

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I'll get'er done.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

All right, keep me posted\ when you can~

D.S