Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Using an iPad. Have new account log in and password. I am

Customer Question

Using an iPad for Skype. Have new account log in and password. I am trying to add contacts, but they do not receive my request. Suggestions?????
Category: Mac
Expert:  James Angelo replied 8 months ago.

My name is***** am a computer professional with a master's degree in computer engineering and over six years of experience in IT tech support. I may be able to help. Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been using Skype for over 3 years. This past week I receive a message that I needed to log into my Skype account. I did not know my password ***** requested a temp password. None of the temp passwords were recognized by Skype. I finally set up a new Skype account. In my new account when I send a request to my contacts to allow me to add them to my Skype contacts they do not receive the message. One of my contacts told me to log into my account and accept her request. I do not see a request from her. Ultimately, I just want to be able to skype with my daughters who live in China, France and Africa. Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply. Did you update Skype in the process?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Guess I don't know what you mean by "update"

During that three-year period that you were using Skype, did you get notifications about newer versions being available and that you should install them?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would receive update notifications and I would update.

Ok. Who or what sent the email that said you needed to log into your Skype account? Also, did you reinstall the app altogether after trying the temporary passwords?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought that Skye sent me the message to log in...not sure. I did not reinstall the app after trying the temp passwords. You would need instruct me on how to do this.

In the future, when you're not sure whether an email is from a legitimate source, do not reply to it or do what it asks. Hackers use a social engineering technique known as phishing to in order to steal people's information that way. I'm gonna walk you through reinstalling Skype for the iPad. First of all, write down your skype username and password ***** you can remember them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have done this.
  1. From the iOS device Home Screen (meaning where all the icons are), locate the Skype app icon.
  2. Tap and hold on the app icon, keep holding until all the icons start wiggling around
  3. Tap the little (X) icon that appears in the upper left corner of the app icon that you want to uninstall
  4. When the “Delete Skype – Deleting Skype will also delete all of its data” message box appears, confirm the removal of the app by choosing “Delete”
  5. When finished, hit the Home button to stop the icons from wiggling
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Done

Your iPad is connected to the internet, right? Either through WiFi or a network?

1) To install Skype, locate the app called the App Store and touch it.

2) Once it's opened, type in "Skype" in the App Store search bar.

3) Once you see the Skype app, tap on the word "Get" next to the app. The app should start downloading.

4) Once it's finished downloading and installing, tap on it to open it.

5) Now enter your username and password. The ones that you wrote down.

6) When you're done, try sending requests to other people.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much James. (Too bad you aren't in Wisconsin, I'd buy you a beer!). I should have thought of reinstalling the app, but dah...... Thanks!

Awesome! I'm glad that it worked. I would have loved to have that beer with you. Most of the time, these types of issues can be fixed by reinstalling the app.

If you don't mind, can you please rate the service so I can close the question? Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will definitely rate and tell my friends. Thanks so much!

Awesome! Thank a lot!