GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Argh! Just emptied trash with a valued file. NOT secure

Customer Question

Argh! Just emptied trash with a valued file. NOT secure empty.
How to recover? OS X 10.11 MacBook Pro 15"
Put it to sleep so I limit the risk of overwrite that will make it unrecoverable...
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It is possible to recover the files but you will need to use specialized software to do so.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Basics of File Recovery

You must not allow any additional writes to the hard drive - shut it down. When files are deleted only the directory entries, not the files themselves, are modified. The space occupied by the files has been returned to the system as available for storage, but the files are still on the drive. Writing to the drive will then eventually overwrite the space once occupied by the deleted files in which case the files are lost permanently. Also if you save a file over an existing file of the same name, then the old file is overwritten and cannot be recovered.

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos a tMacUpdate or CNET Downloads.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

If this information that I have provided has been helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Closed the computer at the moment of discovering risk. NOT shut down yet. Can I download any of the above products and create a bootable CD on another computer?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you can. That would be the ideal solution, because going online to purchase, and download and burn to cd on the Mac that you've lost files on may overwrite the lost files, making them unrecoverable.You can click here to read a detailed comparison of 3 products that will meet your needs, in addition th those already mentioned. I believe that all of them offer a downloadable option.