Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I tried to erase my Hard drive an reinstall OS X. It says my

Customer Question

I tried to erase my Hard drive an reinstall OS X. It says my drive is locked
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I erased the hard drive and tried to reinstall OS X. But it said the drive was locked
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $31 after the Mac Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The locked drive means that either the drive is encrypted and locked or the partition structure has corrupted and in some cases, it means that the hard drive is physicall failing.

There is a way to completely erase it and setup fresh. Remember, this will delete all partitions of hard drive which means delete everything from it. Follow the steps below;

Disconnect all external hard drives from your Mac. Then in the OS X installation screen (main screen), click on Utilities menu at the top bar and select Terminal.

Type the following and press return

diskutil cs list

It will show some list of drives. Copy the UUID of Logical Volume Group*. UUID is some alphanumeric characters

Then type the following and press return

diskutil cs delete typeUUIDoflogicalvolume group here (or you can copy and paste it here)

Then press return. This will erase everything from the drive. Then open Disk Utility and erase it as Mac OS Journaled/Extended. Then reinstall OS X.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Please don't open new questions. Instead please reply in here. Can you restart your Mac and try my suggestion again ?

It is supposed to show the available hard disk.

What was the reason that made you to erase it ?