Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a Mac laptop which has always been on safari. About a

Customer Question

I have a Mac laptop which has always been on safari. About a week ago I could not get on safari and my browser was changed to xfinity. I would like to be on safari.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Safari is always your browsers and Xfinity is the website that show up in Safari. Xfinity is not a browser. You are still using Safari. You can change it if you want.

What version of Mac oS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks just tell me what to do
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

In Safari, click on Safari menu and select Preferences. Under General tab, you can change the home page. Did you try changing the home in there, like to www.apple.com or www.google.com ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I press set to current page
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

No, change the home page www.google.com or www.apple.com or any page you prefer.

Then make sure New Windows Open with and New tabs open with set to Home page (or you can set empty page if you prefer).

Then I want you to download this Malwarebytes Anti Malware application and run a scan --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

That should work. Please let me know if that didn't work.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I would recommend to do a scan with Malwarebyte, because it will find and remove all adwares/malwares from your Safari if there any affected. This is to make sure Safari is malware/adware free.

After changing the home page, you need to close all tabs in Safari and then restart Safari. If it doesn't, please let me know by replying in here and we can reset Safari and set the home page.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I press Safari it still oes not come up
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Lets do this step by step. First download and scan your Mac with this application --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Does it find any malwares/adwares ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

After making sure there are no adwares/malwares, please do the following. Note, the reason I'm asking to do a scan is, some adwares/malwares prevent your Mac from applying or changing home page.

Click on Safari menu and select Quit Safari. Then In Finder, hold down Option key on keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. From Library folder, open Preferences folder. Find and remove the files named com.apple.safari.plist and com.apple.safari.plist.lockfile (if you see it)

Then hold down Shift key and open Safari. Click on Safari menu and select Clear History or Website Data (or Reset Safari). Select All History and click Clear History.

(If you see Reset Safari instead, click it and Reset Safari)

This will clear all data of Safari like active logins, old cookies, temporary files etc (you will not lose any bookmarks or favorites).

Now click on Safari menu and select Preferences. Under General, change the home page to www.google.com or any others. Close Safari. Open it again and does it set the new page ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Just checking. How is it going ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It would not download malware. Also it said buy but on my phone it says free. I tried to quit safari and reset but it would not do that either
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

No, don't buy it. Mac version of Malwarewarebytes is free.

Can we do a remote support session, so I can quickly fix it for you ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I can do the remote support without any additional payment. It is a secure and one time session.

Something is forcing the Safari to switch back to Xfinity home page.

Here is the free Mac version of Malwarebytes (click this link) --> https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/MBAM-Mac-1.1.3.72.dmg

That is a direct link, so when you click it you will see blank page but the Malwarebytes installation file will be downloaded. So check your Dowloads folder. The name of the downloaded will be MBAM-Mac-1.1.3.72.dmg

Re resetting, try this again. Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select Safari and click Force Quit. Now hold down Shift key and open Safari. What this does is, boot Safari in safe mode. Now change the home page from Safari > Preferences > General

Then click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data (or Reset Safari). Reset or clear everything.

Then press Command and N and this will bring new page. Close all other pages in Safari. Close Safari and open it normally. Is it still showing Xfinity ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Were you able to fix it ?