Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Circle with a slash.. will not boot, i did a cmmand option p

Customer Question

circle with a slash.. will not boot
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i did a cmmand option p r.. and now it did not get teh cirlce slash but has login screen. but i can click my login name.. with mouse
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: now the circle screen is back.. its a 13 mac running el capitan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Computer makes start up sound, then shows circle with slash. Sometime it makes it to what looks like the login screen, but you cannot click on the username to enter password; its stuck there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The circle with slash indicates that either the system files are corrupted or the hard drive itself is failing. To make sure this not a issue with OS X, you can reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work or if you get stuck at any point of re-installation, so we can continue troubleshooting.