Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I deleted was copying a section of a large document and must

Customer Question

I deleted was copying a section of a large document and must have deleted everything in the document except what I was trying to copy. I tried to paste it where I wanted it and it and the rest of the document wasn't there. Can I restore my files to an earlier time?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I was using the Pages application.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  BigDish101 replied 9 months ago.

Have you tried clicking edit then undo?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't undo it. I had selected the whole document which was about 1 1/2 pages to copy. I was looking at page 2 when I tried to copy the whole document and when I tried to paste it I only got what I was seeing on page 2. I clicked paste again and got another copy of page 2. I knew I had made a mistake and thought I could go back to my last saved copy so I changed the name of the document and saved it. Now I only have page 2 of the saved document. The last complete saved document with the original name is ***** ***** my computer. I've used every search I can think of and only the page 2 version shows up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm using the Pages application that came with Yosemite.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Forget it! I figured out how to go back to recently saved and deleted documents. I had tried it before but wasn't careful enough about selecting one of the stacked pages. Had to try several times to get the most recent. Not very user friendly! Don't think I got my money's worth out of Just Answer's non ASAP response. But, now I know how to fix my screwup! Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

The recovery in pages is not too user friendly, but once you understand how it works, then you can always go back to this.

You may also want to consider an online service such as dropbox.com as this does versioning for you as a second backup to this (pages is not always reliable for creating a version)

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you