Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I had same issue with iPhoto library locked. Followed this

Customer Question

I had same issue with iPhoto library locked. Followed this thread now I can't find any of my old photos. When I open iPhoto it is empty. Help
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need help as soon as possible....working on school project right now. Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I can't find find what thread you had followed. Could you please tell me what have you tried so far ?

Go to your Pictures folder and do you see your iPhoto Library there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing in iPhoto. If I open Photos some of them are there
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. In home folder, open Pictures folder and how many libararies you see there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS 10.10.5
In pictures folder there is only one iPhoto library and it is empty
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Select that iPhoto Library, press Command and I. This will bring Get Info window. What is the size of that iPhoto Library ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have time capsule so thought pics would be backed up but can't seem to find them
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What is the size of that iPhoto Library you can see in Pictures folder ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7,438,896 bytes. Also says it was created today but I created it 5 yrs ago
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is only 7MB. What happened to the library ?

What is the size of other libraries there ?

In Spotlight search, type jpg and does it return any of your pictures ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I did the search there are photos there
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

All your photos ? Scroll down on the results and select Show all in Finder. Do you see all your photos ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I select show all in finder?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Type jpb in Spotlight and scroll all the way down to the bottom of results. You see "Show all in Finder.." at the bottom with Finder icon. Double click on it and it will open the results in Finder. Under Images section, how many photos are showing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I scrolled to bottom and that icon is not there. I don't think this is all the pics but it is a lot of them. A lot more are showing up under photos
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Spotlight will not show all pics. Open Finder window. In Finder window, you will see search box are top right (not on the top right corner of Mac's screen). Search jpg there

Under Images section, look on right side. It will show the number of picture it found with Show All option. Click it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4,216
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have more photos than this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure total number. Between what I see here and in Photos looks like that may be all of them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be easier to restore a time machine backup from 2 days ago? When I find the backups I don't know how to restore it
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

These are the photos that are available on your Mac. Try this. Click on 'Show All' on right (in Images section). Then press Command A and this will select all pictures from the results. Now create a folder on Documents on in Pictures folder. Open that folder and press Command V and all those photos will be copied to this folder. Now open Photos app. Click on File > Import

Select the folder with your photos and click Import. This will import all of them to Photos app.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If the library is available on Time Machine, then Yes. It would be easier. Click on the Time Machine icon at the menu bar and select Enter Time Machine. Go back in Time where you had the photos. Open Pictures folder (in Time Machine). If you see the main iPhoto Library there, select it and click Restore button on right or bottom. This will restore that library to the internal hard drive. Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I went back to previous date in time machine but don't see a pictures folder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at desktop
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You have to enter to Time Machine first. In Time Machine, click on Home folder or Picture folder in left column. Do you see the library there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I enter time machine left column lists all my files, iCloud drive, airdrop, applications, desktop, documents,downloads, devices,shared,tags
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Under Devices click Macintosh HD. Open Users folder. Open Home folder. Open Pictures folder and you will find the Library there (if it is backed up).

Or in Time Machine, press Shift, Command G and this will bring Go To Folder. Type ~/Pictures/ and press return. This will open Pictures folder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found pictures folder and a lot of photos are there but they are not under iPhoto library just listed individually in pictures folder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I highlight pictures folder it is not letting me click restore at bottom...it is grayed out
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Can you check the size of that iPhoto Library ? If it is correct size, then restore that one.

You can select all those pictures and restore them to the Pictures folder or any folder to the internal drive. Don't restore them to Desktop folder

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I believe it will not allow you to restore the entire Pictures folder, but just the contents of that Pictures folder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is only 7mb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With airport can I just restore everything on computer for 2 days ago?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Only if there is backup mode. Go further back into the time (like a week ago) and do you see working iPhoto Library ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found an older iPhoto library I selected it and click restore but can't find new iPhoto to restore it to.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What is the size of that older iPhoto Library ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember and can't figure out how to get back there. Where can I put the restored file
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Put it in the Pictures folder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still copying "iPhoto.app" to "pictures". How will I get them plus what is in Photos to iPhoto?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Not the iPhoto. app. You need to copy the iPhoto Library from Pictures folder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I can't find the pictures file now. I am beyond frustrated.
I. HATE. APPLE.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Since the pictures are on your Mac itself, can you try my first suggestion ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Close Time Machine. Search jpg on your Mac (in Finder). Copy all pictures to a folder and import them to Photos.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm just posting the steps again

Open Finder. In Finder window, you will see search box are top right (not on the top right corner of Mac's screen). Search jpg there

Click on 'Show All' on right (in Images section). Then press Command A and this will select all pictures from the results. Now create a folder on Documents on in Pictures folder. Open that folder and press Command V and all those photos will be copied to this folder. Now open Photos app. Click on File > Import