Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Travis, I have a mac mini and I have no sound output. The

Customer Question

Hello Travis, my name is***** have a mac mini and I have no sound output. The message says, internal or the cdmi has no output controls. I can't figure out why? It shows the internal speakers and the HDMI in the system preferences.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want to play music through my computer. I am a musician that wants to record demo in Garage band... But I have no sound. All the other functions seem to work. So If I go to iTunes or youtube, it plays, but no sound?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.

Wait 20 seconds seconds.

Attach the power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

If it still not working, then get a headphone. Plug it in to your Mac and can you hear sound through it ? If so , unplug it and plug it again. Do this for 5 or 6 times and then remove it. Play something. Does it work now ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done all that and now I have no input or output controls of devices. They're gone. They were there before and now gone. And the problem still is here.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a red light on headphone port ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Connect an headphone to your Mac Mini, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM again. Do you hear anything ?

Also do you have any airplay devices there ? Like airplay speakers, Apple TV etc

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM and SMC will not hurt your Mac. In fact these are recommened steps if you experience any sounds issues.

Shut down your Mac and unplug everything. Wait 2 minutes. Connect everything back.

Turn it on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and for 5 seconds.

Now connect the headphone to your Mac and play something. Can you hear through headphones ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to leave this discussion for now. Nothing has worked. It's worse, still no controls, still no sound. Can I come back to the troubleshoot later?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we can continue later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later directly. There are several causes for this problem and it may be even an hardware issue. When you reset the PRAM and NVRAM, all it did is refresh all hardware components. It would not hurt your Mac.

When you are back, we can do some advanced troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When you are back, please reset the SMC and PRAM one more time. Then reset the coreaudio drivers of your Mac.

To do that, open Terminal from Applications > Utilities folder. Type the following command and press return

sudo killall coreaudiod

Then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 20 seconds and this will boot into safe mode. Go to System Preferences > Sound and does it recognize the output controls ? Try to play something and can you hear ?

Also unplug all external sound devices if any connected and check. If it still not working, then we can reinstall the OS X. If this is a software glitch, reinstalling the OS X will fix it.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

(Reinstalling the OS X won't delete any of your files. But I'd recommend to backup all your important files to an external hard drive before reinstalling the OS X)