Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Biagas. I keep getting the "circle of doom". Was in 6 weeks

Customer Question

Christine Biagas. I keep getting the "circle of doom". Was in 6 weeks ago and a "genius" fixed the problem. How do I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

So I can help you fix this, and help you learn how to fix and prevent it in the future. I need to ask you some questions first Christine.

To start with, are you able to log onto the mac at all and get to your desktop?

When exactly does the "circle of doom" occur.

From the time you press power, what do you see on screen and when does the failure happen?

Thank you in advance for your response,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Failure happens frequently and at different times. Sometimes immediately after log in. After attempting to delete old emails, when reviewing my business Facebook page. In other words - ALL THE TIME!!!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

So you can log into the mac.. Thats excellent..

next question, what mac osx version are you using? To find out,

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to know how to fix the problem. I observed the tech the last time my Mac was "cleaned" but did not write down the procedure.
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Os 10. I already entered this info. Did U review it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My # *****(###) ###-#### ***** may call me.
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

OS 10 point what ? such as 10.8.4 or 10.9.5 or 10.10.2 ?

As far as calling, I can only call if an offer for phone support is made and accepted. We charge extra for phone or remote support. This is done to keep our prices as low and competitive as possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
U asked about my Mac. It is Mac OS X. 10.7.5
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
U also sent me a phone # and American Express called me to verify a $22 charge. What's going on?????
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..

Lets start with a simple repair

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once it says permissions repair complete..

Shut down your mac. Then, start y our mac and immediately press and hold the left shift key on your keyboard right after you press power to turn it on.

Hold the shift key until the startup chime sounds twice.. Then log into your mac.

This should take you into safe mode.

Now, test again. Is it still spinning when you access your mail, or facebook?

Also.. I havent sent you a phone number.. You sent me your phone number and asked me to call. I stated that if you wanted to do phone support, you would have to accept that service offer, which would be an additional charge~

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need time to write down the #. I 74 years old so exercise a little REASONABLE patience. Please don't be ridiculous. Send me the 510 #. I already approved a $22 charge. How much more do U want???
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If U cannot help me, just return my charge and I'll take my computer to the Apple store michigan.
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Christine, Ive been helping you via written support. You did not accept the secure remote connection, nor the phone call.

So I have sent written steps so we can try and fix the issue through written support. As far as patience, I have plenty! Take your time.. And read over the response below as this response contains the steps to try and begin fixing the issue manually

Lets start with a simple repair

This should take you into safe mode.