Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How can a clear my mac of all files and downloads so it can

Customer Question

How can a clear my mac of all files and downloads so it can be used by someone else?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you want to completely erase the Mac and install a fresh OS X ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just want to delete the personal files and the downloads that still appear on the computer. Also want to erase my search history.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

What personal files ? Photos, videos, iTunes Library etc ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Word docs and final draft files (scripts)
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

One more question. Are you giving this Mac away ? Or just giving it for a temporary use ? The reason I'm asking is, I've different solution for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Giving it to someone else that I don't want to have record of my work or use.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

The best option is, lock your account with password ***** then create a brand new account for that user. He can login to that account and he will not have access to your account.

Do you need instructions for that ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't want ant trace of my records on this mac. Just adding users won't solve my problem.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

The problem is, f you delete something from your Mac, it can be recovered using third party recovery applications. So the best option is, completely erase the Mac, then erase the free space (which will make deleted files non recoverable) and create a fresh account.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I completely erase the MAC?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I will send you instructions. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's a good question. where will i find that most updated info?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac or System INformation. You will find the version number there

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a USB flash drive or thumb drive there ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Because we're going to create a bootable OS X installer disk and then erase the Mac using that disk.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

First off, did you backup your important files ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a thumb drive
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the files i need.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Make sure the files are not in the thumb drive, we are going to erase it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

What is the size of that thumb drive ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The files ARE on the thumb drive I have. now what? I only have one drive. Isn't there a way to erase the computer without a thumbdrive?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you can erase it from internet. For that you need a stable internet connection. Do you have a high speed connection ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am on wifi. Can I still erase?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I will send you the instructions now.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Will that be via email?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes. You can. But I'd recommend to get another drive and use it to erase. If you don't have any, then follow the steps below.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys (or Command, Option and R keys) at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. In there, click Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD (hard disk's name) in left column. Click on Erase tab and erase it.

This will erase everything from your Mac. Now we need to erase the free space. Erasing the free space is what makes the deleted files non-recoverable. Now click Erase Free Space button in there. Select the desired option and Erase. This may take a few hours. Once you did that, close Disk Utility. Then click Install Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to install a fresh OS X. This will also take some time to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am going to try this now. This way no third parties scan recover ANY of my files, correct?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Erasing free space is a must you do to make them non recoverable. See here --> http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/21/erase-free-space-hard-drive-mac-os-x/

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Note. Erasing the HD and free space, reinstalling the OS X etc is going to take several hours. If you face any difficulty, please let me know and I will continue to help you

Also, after installing a fresh OS X go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and do a Free Space Erase again.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hello there, It's me Ashik again. I'm just checking. Were you able to erase it ? If you have any difficulty, please let me know.