Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I am trying to set macbook air as wifi hotspot to an iphone

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to set macbook air as wifi hotspot to an iphone 5c
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My son does have an iphone 5c but no phone number. At school, his macbook air is connected to wifi but can only do with one device
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Mac Technician now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I may be able to help you set this up. I have a few questions first.

Your macbook air.. How is it currently connected to the internet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wifi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At school it allows only 1 device to connect to wifi. So only MacBook Air is connected . He had an iPhone 5c that want to communicate with him but needs wifi . So I am thinking to use his wifi from MacBook as hot spot unless you are others ways
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Heres the issue. The macbook cannot receive internet using its wireless connection and then at the same time transmit its own wifi hotspot. It only has one wireless card and it can only be a part of one network at a time.

The only way he could create a hotspot with his macbook air, is if the macbook air was connected to the internet via an ethernet cable ( he'd need this adapter http://amzn.to/1QAUc73 )

He would have to connect his macbook to the internet using an ethernet cable..

And then, he could use his wifi adapter to create a hotspot the phone could connect to. And this is how you would create the hotspot.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-wifi-hotspot-using-mac-os-x/

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.