Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

About this Mac does not open nor is there a communication

Customer Question

About this Mac does not open nor is there a communication between computer and printer (HP 4400 series - C44880). The printer comes on appropriately and the computer works for all other functions. The printer is not wireless what appears when attempting to print is filter failed. Have checked the model and it is still compatible with program on Computer.
All other applications work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Was this same printer working fine on this same computer previously? When was the last time the printer was working on this computer?

What's your Mac OS X version, i.e., 10.6, 10.7, etc.?

Did you try any step using the info you found online?

Are you still able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not printing from the computer)?

Please reply ta the box below. Thank you.

Please try:

Solution #1:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then click on Sharing.
  2. Do one of the followings:
    • If the Computer Name field is blank, enter a name for your computer, anything you want.
    • If there is a name in the Computer Name field, rename your computer, anything you want.
  3. Close the Sharing window.
  4. Then check printing.
  5. If that does not work, click on the Apple logo menu, then System Preferences, then Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax), then select your printer in the Printer list. Click Options and Supplies, if available.
    , then click on the General tab, if necessary. In the Location field, enter the exact same computer name you entered in step 2. Click OK.
  6. Check printing.
  7. If needed, restart the computer, then check printing.

Solution #2:

- Disconnect printer's USB cable from computer for now

- Go to the Apple logo menu -> System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax)

, then click on the HP printer, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left, and delete the printer for now

, make sure the printer is powered on, and connect printer's USB cable from printer to computer

, then click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, then select / add your HP printer

, then check printing.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

I'm sorry, I meant HP printer. The steps are revised. Were you able to try both solutions? Or are you stuck at any step?

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Would you like me to connect to your mac from here and fix this issue via a secure remote connection?

Please respond when you can so we can figure out how were going to proceed and get this issue resolved, thank you.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I disconnected and then did connected + the HP printer cam e back I didn't have to add it. At the bottom there is a place for Name, Location, Use with choose driver which asks "select software. Do I do anything here leave it blank or what do I put in there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

When you click select software.

You want to pick the matching HP 4400 series - C44880 driver.

It should be one of the first ones showing in the small drop down list..