Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

I purchased an LG Ultra Slim Portable DVD WRITER and my Mac

Customer Question

Hi..I purchased an LG Ultra Slim Portable DVD WRITER and my Mac isn't seeing it
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The disc I got with the LG is for Windows and I haven't been able to open anything in support of the DVD WRITER
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, at this time I have no driver for this piece of equipment..unfortunately the Drive on my iMac went out so resorting for thje time being to an external drive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi there!

You may need to install a driver for the new LG DVD writer.

If a disc did not come with it, you can download the correct driver from the LG website:

http://www.lg.com/us/dvd-burners-and-drives

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete..you know the driver is the first thing I checked out but my iMac isn't seeing it..The reply is a box that normally should have the image of the file or app to drag over and install...instead I get the message: "No image" in the bottom left corner. So my computer is still not seeing the DVD Drive...
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

What type of cable connection are you using?

Have you tried connecting to a different port on the iMac?

Can you test the DVD writer on a different computer?