Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I forgot the password on my MacBook Pro

Customer Question

I forgot the password ***** my MacBook Pro
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Which password ***** you forget ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Sorry I don't understand. What password ***** ***** Mac asking for ?

Are you able to login to your Mac and access your files, apps etc ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Is your Mac asking for keychain password ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its asking for the apple user password
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. One more question. Are you currently locked out from your Mac and requires password ***** login to your Mac ?

Or are you able to login to your Mac but requires password ***** something ?

I need to know this then only I can send you correct instructions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
lockout
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. This will Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, you may get some error about keychain. This is normal and indicates you are on right track. So go to System Preferences select iCloud. Click Sign Out button there and sign out. If asked to delete or keep stuffs, select Keep. If you only see Delete, then click Delete or OK. It is OK, you can reconnect to iCloud later.

Once you did that, we need to reset keychain. Click on the Finder icon on dock (the first blue icon from left). Then hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will open Library folder. In Library, you will see folder named Keychain. Open Keychain folder. Trash all files inside that Keychain folder. Restart your Mac normally and login to your account.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help and/or walk you through the steps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the 3rd time I trying to boot to the utility screen and nothing is happening
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at same time for 20 second. Does it boot into OS X Utilities screen ?

If not, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard for 10 seconds and what do you see in the screen ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It brought up something that look like a hard drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, how many hard drives do you see there ? Do you see Recovery HD ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1 drive and now it back to the login screen waiting for a password
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm tried using my Apple ID password ***** it is not excepting it
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

We're going to boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on and it will bring welcome screen. Then you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer). Don't sign in to Apple ID either if asked.

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Let me know once you did that

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will try
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Make sure you enter the command exactly, other wise it will not work. Here are the commands in details.

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>

rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>

shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I type all the above it turned off do I turn back on
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What suppose to happen
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Tell me what you see. If you get a welcome screen and language to choose, then you are on right track

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's booting
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Welcome screen
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do do I click US
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You are on right track. Now follow the onscreen instructions and create a brand new account by entering new username and password.

If asked to transfer information, select Do Not Transfer.

If asked to sign in with Apple ID, skip that step. Don't sign in to Apple ID

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It asking me to create an computer account I'm I ok so far
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, create an account.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dish and usuage
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I'm logged in
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All of my screen saver are gone
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What about my data
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

This is a brand new admin account. So this account will be blank. Now we can reset the password ***** old account using this account.

Go to System Preferences and select Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account there and change/reset the password ***** clicking the Reset Password ***** Enter a new password ***** your original account

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Don't worry. We created this account to reset the password ***** your original account. None of your data are lost.

Go to System Preferences and select Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account in left column and change/reset the password ***** clicking the Reset Password ***** Enter a new password ***** your original account and save it. Let me know once you did that

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The other accounts are greed out
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Click the lock on the bottom left corner to unlock that part. Enter your password ***** this account if asked.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

After unlocking the lock select your old account in left column and change/reset the password ***** clicking the Reset Password ***** Enter a new password ***** your original account and save it. Let me know once you did that

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Did you reset the password ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

When you click Reset Password, if you get a choice to use non iCloud/Apple ID password ***** select it. Use a computer or local password. Reset/Save it.

Then click on Apple icon and select Sign Out. Then login to your old account with the password ***** reset.

This will login to your original account. Then go to System Preferences select iCloud. Click Sign Out button there and sign out. If asked to delete or keep stuffs, select Keep. If you only see Delete, then click Delete or OK. It is OK, you can reconnect to iCloud later.

Once you did that, we need to reset keychain. Click on the Finder icon on dock (the first blue icon from left). Then click on Go menu and sele Go To Folder. Type the following command and press return

~/Library/

This will open Library folder. In Library, you will see folder named Keychain. Open Keychain folder. Trash all files inside that Keychain folder. Restart your Mac normally and login to your original account. That should fix everything.

Let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, It's me Ashik. It's been a few days. I'm just checking with you. How is it going ? Were you able to fix the issue and login to your account ?