Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot log into my mac anymore, it doesn't take my

Customer Question

I cannot log into my mac anymore, it doesn't take my password. and I didn't setup cloud vault. it would not let me get into single user mode either.
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I just did
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I tried to reinstall osx and it would not load, just gives me a circle with a line through it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, forgot to mention, this is a 2015 A1418 IMAC with El Capitan installed.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Single user mode does not require a password. What happens exactly?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.