Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My mac book pro won't load. It just goes to a grey screen.

Customer Question

My mac book pro won't load. It just goes to a grey screen. If I try to load to safe mode it doesn't finish loading and goes to a blue screen and hangs there.
If I try to boot to recovery mode it goes to grey screen (both normal and Internet versions) and same for hardware test mode.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Try Option Command R for Internet Recovery..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As mentioned in the question I have done this and it loads to grey screen
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Oh sorry I missed that if you can boot to Internet Recovery what happened? Did you check it with the Disk Utility?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Once I boot to Internet recovery it goes to grey screen again.Not sure how I check with disk utility. (If this holding down D when booting up then yes and it goes to grey screen)The secure connection thing u just sent requires a US phone number and I'm in uk. Is there another way to do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

I didn't send that just ignore it. They have no idea that I can't connect to a computer that won't run.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lol ok.
So the disk utility is the holding down D while booting? If so then it goes to grey screen again
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

No Disk Utility is accessed when you boot to Recovery HD or Internet Recovery. Us that a MacBook with a removable battery?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. Battery is not removable.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

OK do this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok have done this.
It no goes to a blue screen.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Ok now restart and hold Option until you see a list of boot partitions

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I have Macintosh HD and recovery-10.8
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also below it choose network to connect to Internet
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Choose Recovery HD then do one of the following based on the system version:

10.11 or above

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.
________

10.10 or below

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It boots to a blue screen :/
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

OK do you have a Time Machine backup?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure. But don't think so.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Plus one of the most important things I need is a word document that was done yesterday.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

You would know. Do you have another Mac or PC?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I could one for now yes.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

If you have or can access another Mac you can try to access the drive using Target Disk mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

But as far as getting it running again you will have to take it in to Apple to see if the drive or some other component has failed . There is nothing more you can do at this point to diagnose the problem. If that is not possible I could give you a link to a USB image of Yosemite which you can then boot from to try and fix or erase that drive if possible... it requires us to exchange private info so it is an extra fee...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks. I'll take it up to apple to see what's happened then. Appreciate your time trying anyway.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Good luck.

Please remember that the experts here cannot fix failed hardware. We guarantee a correct ANSWER, even if that answer determines the product needs to be physically repaired. No one likes to hear they need to spend more money to fix the problem but at least you now know what needs to be done and you can make an informed decision.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!