GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

I am using adobe illustrator to work with a pdf. When i open

Customer Question

Hi, I am using adobe illustrator to work with a pdf. When i open the document in adobe illustrator it looks to be in symbols not text or numbers. How do I fix this?
Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

What version of Adobe Acroabat?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
adobe illustrator cc 2015
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Not all Acrobat documents are compatible with Illustrator it depends on how it was saved. Can you send me the document?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Go here with any web browser:

http://tiny.cc/upload-to-mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel to stop.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its a confidential work doc, so i am not able to send. it is opening fine for half the document and the other half is in symbols.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

What program was the file originally created with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
originally it is in aspose, then i edit it, save as pdf or preview...and it wont reopen again without the symbols.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Ok I am not familiar with aspose, that is what controls it's compatibility with Illustrator.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, so how do we figure out the solution here?thanks,
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Sorry I don't understand a why you need to edit it in Illustrator in the first place.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Regardless that is a function of the app that created it I can't help you there. I can only suggest you get Acrobat Pro and edit it using that application. I'll opt out.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. May I ask, if you open the pdf document and view it without importing it into Adobe Illustrator, does it display correctly? Please advise. If it doesn't then we will need to go back to aspose and save it again, possibly exporting it into a different format. Do you have Microsoft Office available to you? If you could save it into a file that Office can open, you can re-save it as a pdf from Office and perhaps then open it into Illustrator. Please let me know what programs you have to work with and whether it displays correctly outside of Illustrator and I will come up with a solution (if possible) that will work for you.