Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just transferred to a new mac and it will not open photo

Customer Question

Hello ***** *****, I just transferred to a new mac and it will not open photo booth it says to connect to an existing on or begin new photos
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I try to connect to the existing one... I can not find it through the photo booth link it gives me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is the error I am getting... Photo Booth could not locate your photo library. Please choose an existing library or create a new one in order to continue using Photo Booth. My tabs are Create New or Choose Existing. When I select Choose Existing because Photos Library is there - but greyed out....OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 18767 MHz DDR3
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that should be 1867 MHz
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Photos Library is there with all my photos just whited out when I Choose existing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to know what i can try before Remote tech.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

How did you transfer your data to the new Mac?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I connected the macs via ethernet and selected transfer. All data transferred but see the photo booth will not open
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

It is not called Photos Library it is called Photo Booth Library. Are you sure you are logged in to the transferred account?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This was a new mac so i connected my old mac and selected transfer from mac to mac... I can't find the Photo Booth Library
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is not under mac HD/user/me/pictures/
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Go to the Apple Logo and Logout then login to your transferred account

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok will try
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok i did and the same thing
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Ok go to your old Mac do you see the Photo Booth Library in Pictures folder?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no Photo Booth Library. Never had a problem transferring data to new Macs before but it looks like my Photo Booth Library did not come across or landed some where else.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

There is no Photo Booth Library on your old Mac?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It appeared that everything moved across... i check all my photo files and movie files but did not check my photo booth and have wiped that Mac. Yes the old one, it did have all the photo booth library items.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Ok if you have logged into all accounts on the new Mac and it is not there and you have wiped the old Mac then I'm afraid the only way to try and retrieve it is using Recovery Software like Disk Drill.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How would I recover from time machine... only photo booth and nothing else?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you .... I will figure it out. I have to pack and leave early in the morning. Was hoping to get this figured out but don't have the time. I can check on this via email if you think of something. thanks tammy
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

If you had a Time Machine backup then go to Pictures folder when logged into that account open Time Machine and go back to the last backup and restore the Photo Booth Library. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!