Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am trying to set a apple computer back to factory

Customer Question

I am trying to set a apple computer back to factory settings, it a 2007 model. I tried a way that was posted but I don't have a recovery and when I push McIntosh HD, it doesn't allow me to pick journling. I see it but it isn't highlighted. Is there easier way.
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok great
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Please try the following:

1}Back up any files that you need to save.

2}Make sure that you the laptop that you are planning to restore has an active connection to the internet.

3} Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode (hold down the Command key and the R key during restart).

4}Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Click on Disk Utility > Continue. Select the main volume and click Unmount then Erase). Quit Disk Utility (Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility).

Note: If erase is grayed out, you may not have successfully booted into Recovery Mode. Shut down again, and restart, holding down the Command and R key.

· {C}When you have exited Disk Utility, click Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions to reinstall Mac OS X

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions during the process. If this works for you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is what I have tried, and I push erase and I push erase and in volume Format it says Mac OS Extended (Journaled) But it is not hightlighted and Erase at the bottom isn't either
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to boot he MAc now? Can you get to disk utilities?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go in disk utilities but it doesn't come up unless I go into computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Note from the initial instructions where it says "Note: If erase is grayed out, you may not have successfully booted into Recovery Mode. Shut down again, and restart, holding down the Command and R key." I think that maybe the case because you should also be able to access disk utilities if you are in receovery mode. Try to restart and hold down the Command key and the R key until it comes up in recovery mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It always goes back to main screen, I have done this several times and same thing everytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

If it goes back to the main screen it is definitely not going in to recovery mode. Please try one more time. I'm not sure how you are restarting but let's try doing it this way. To restart your computer, you have three choices: Press the power button (or press Control+Eject) and, when a dialog box appears, click the Restart button. Choose the Apple key and then click Restart. Press Control+Command+Eject (or Control+Command+Power button). When it begins to restart, hold down the Command and R keys at startup. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window. You will have to get into receovery mode in order to be able to restore your MAC.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

If this works for you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not working
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'm sorry but I will have to "opt out" and se if someone else can help. you. I have run out of ideas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will they be getting ahold of me
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 10.4.11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Processor 2.16 GHZ intel Core Duo
Memory 1GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK command R will not work you will need the system install disk that came with your Mac do you have it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have disk 1 and disk 2
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Put the disk one in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Erase tab on the right then make it Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) name in Macintosh HD and Erase. When done quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install . After restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a disk utilities on the disk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went into diskl utilities and OS Extended Journal is gray and wond let me choose
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

It is not "on" the disk you have to boot from the disk by holding the letter C with the disk in the Mac. Then when you get to he Install screen you go to the very top of the screen to Utilities

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Then select Macintosh HD on the left in Disk Utility then select the Erase tab and Erase.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's where I am telling you that mac os extended (Journal) is gray and will not let me choose and also erase button is gray
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you are booted from the disk? Do you see the normal Dock with all the icons at the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see normal dock and screen
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Then you are not booted from the disk. Is this an iMAc , laptop OR WHAT?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
laptop
macbook
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Does it have a removable battery on the back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Put the disk in then:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the battery and power adapter.
7. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 9.
8. Turn on the computer.
9. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
11. Release the keys and immediately hold the C key the letter C and keep holding it until you see the Apple Logo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen that came up has mac OS X install disk 1 and Macintosh HD and Network
no apple logo
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Choose OS X install disk. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Erase tab on the right then make it Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) name in Macintosh HD and Erase. When done quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install . After restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to install that?