GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

I just got an iphone 5s and am transitioning from a samsung

Customer Question

I just got an iphone 5s and am transitioning from a samsung galaxy (i think:). I have tried many times to use the Move to IOS app and it does not migrate or cannot connect. I have them plugged in and both show wifi connection. I have researched it and found that many people have this problem so I am hoping to get some expert advice:) Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this You are correct in that this is a very common problem. Fortunately, it is not that difficult to manually transfer your data.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Many of your apps like Google, Facebook, Twitter, and more store your information in the cloud. Cross-platform supported services such as Google, Exchange, or Yahoo! are all supported by the iphone, which should make it easy for you to import all of your data. Just go the settings menu on your iphone and enter your credentials for each of these types of accounts. In most apps, you can specifiy which data you want to pull in; mail, contacts, calendars, and in some cases, even notes. If your photos and contacts are stored in your Google account, you can easily access them on the iphone. Do you have any specific programs or data that you are concerned about?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
mainly I want my contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But i want to do it with the IOS app so it all goes. the iphone is new
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my concern is that the app is not transferring
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I understand. It is a very widespread issue and one that I do not know of a fix for. However, If your contacts are in Google, I can walk you through getting them onto your iphone. If that is not acceptable I eill be happy to "opt out" and see if another expert might be able to assit. Please advise.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I apologize. I just realized that I did not ask what version of IOS is on your iphone. If you have not upgraded to IOS 9, that may prevent the app from functioning correctly. I have offered a phone call to make it easier to walk you through finding out what IOS you have, but it us completely optional. If you'd prefer to continue here, just let me know.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I do apologize. I had to step away from the computer briefly and I did not et he usual notification that a customer had responded. I am calling you now.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

When you have completed the setup of your iphone, please go to SETTINGS>General>About to see what version of IOS is on your iphone., It needs to be 9 or greater. If it is not, go to SETTINGS>General>Software Update and check for updates. Once=you are on IOS 9 or later (the latest is 9.2.1) let m.e know and I'll call you back and walk you through using the Move to IOS app.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is updating now. It asked if I wanted to upgrade...about 1/2 way through
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done...IOS 9.2.1
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please call me, my land line does not have long distance.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I will provide detailed instructions momentarily for transferrring content manually but I thought it might be helpful to provide these instructions for using the MoveToIos app. I'm thinking that you may need to do step 2 on the android right after you perform step 1 on the iphone.

1. Tap Move Data from Android
While setting up your iphone, look for the Apps & Data screen. Then tap Move Data from Android. If you've already finished setup go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase all settings and start over.
2. Open the Move to iOS app
On your Android device, open the Move to iOS app and tap Continue. Read the terms and conditions that appear. Tap Agree to continue, then tap Next in the top-right corner of the Find Your Code screen.
3. Wait for a code
On your iOS device, tap Continue on the screen called Move from Android. Then wait for a ten-digit code to appear. If your Android device shows an alert that you have a weak Internet connection, you can ignore the alert.
4. Use the code
Enter the code on your Android device. Then wait for the Transfer Data screen to appear.
5. Choose your content and wait
On your Android device, select the content you'd like to transfer and tap Next. Then leave both devices alone until the loading bar that appears on your iOS device finishes—even if your Android indicates that the process is complete.
The whole transfer can take a while, depending on how much content you're moving.
6. Set up your iOS device
After the loading bar finishes on your iOS device, tap Done on your Android device. Then tap Continue on your iOS device and follow the onscreen steps to complete setup.
7. Finish up
Make sure that all of your content transferred. If

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is what I have been doing and after it says connecting to iphone...even as far as "preparing" the message comes to the iphone that the can not migrate try later OR a message on android that cannot transfer data. Sometimes when I try again and push continue after choosing to move data the iphone spins and spins. Then I restart and try again...and again...sigh
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I completely understand your frustration. Many people experience issues with the MoveToIOS app. I am attaching a pdf file that I have created for you with detailed instructions for manually moving all of your data. Some of it may not apply to you, as you may not have music or documents and pdfs or book on your phone. Just follow the parts of these instructions that do apply to you and please let me know if you have any questions.

If this information is helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Alison,
Thanks for your help. I got this info printed out from another site. Since my phone contacts are primarily on my phone and not gmail it really didn't help although I did keep the site bookmarked in case it would in the future. Thanks for trying. Perhaps I can get down to the apple store some day soon. In the meantime I will keep trying...and trying...and trying... My husband finally had success after about 20 tries...perhaps I will too.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Rather than keep trying with an app that has a rating of only 2 stars out of 5 on the app store and that is known to be buggy, you may want to consider creating a Google account and importing your contacts into the google account. I've tried to make these instructions as simple as possible, and I will be here to answer any questions that you may have about the process. If this doesn't work for you, or you just don't want to try it please let me know and I will "opt out" and open the question up to other experts. If it does work, please kindly rate my service so that I will receive credit for my time spent on the answer. Thank you! Have a good evening!

On most Android devices, your contacts are automatically synced as soon as you sign-in to a Google Account.

If you choose to do this and don't automatically see your contacts from your phone in your Google contacts, please do the following:

1. Make sure that you have Gmail installed on your device.
  2. Go to Settings, then go to ‘Accounts and Sync’.
  3. Enable the Accounts and syncing service.
  4. Select your Gmail account from the e-mail accounts setup .
  5. Make sure that you’ve enabled the ‘Sync Contacts’ option.
  6. Press ‘Sync now’ button and wait until all the phone contacts have been successfully synchronized with your gmail account.
  7. Now open Gmail in your computer’s web browser and click the Gmail text link that is listed on the upper left side of the Gmail profile.

Select Contacts and then you should see a page where all the contacts from your Android smartphone have been stored.

Now go to your iPhone. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and add your Gmail account. Make sure Contacts are enabled for the account. You should now find that all of your contacts are in your iPhone.

NOTE: If any of your contacts on your Android phone happen to be stored on the sim card, we may have to take a few special steps to import them to into Google. Just let me know if you need help with this.