Shefin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Experience with a world famous computer manufacturer
15907069

Should Apple have warned users that Yosemite and El Capitian

Customer Question

Should Apple have warned users that Yosemite and El Capitian would totally disrupt use of Iphoto?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

iPhoto and Aperture were both discontinued earlier last year when Apple released Photos for OS X Yosemite. While Apple no longer sells the apps, it continued to make them available for download for users who had bought them. At some recent point, those links — in Mac App Store users' Purchased list — disappeared.

In the interim, if you have iPhoto or Aperture currently installed on your Mac, you need to do precisely nothing. Both apps work just fine and will continue to work in the future.

If you're trying to set up a new Mac install with these apps, however, you've found that you can't. And you won't be able to until Apple resolves the Mac App Store backend issue that caused the glitch. The glitch has apparently also deleted versions of OS X prior to Yosemite. Mavericks, Lion and Mountain Lion were all distributed via the Mac App Store.

However, you can try downloading and installing it from the link below.

http://www.iskysoft.com/slideshow-maker/iphoto-for-mac-os-x-1011-el-capitan.html

If you launch the new Photos program it will migrate your iPhoto library so you can use it with Photos.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have managed to find most of the photos that were deleted in my trying to get Iphotos running on this Imac24 on El Capitan, but all of my photos from a recent Safari to southern Africa are lost including on my camera. I sought to get them loaded into the newly updated version of Iphotos that Apple got for me. I don't think I ever did anything to delete them either from this computer much less from my camera.I really don't know what happened other than my getting them to show up and my getting them improved using Iphotos to improve them. I certainly did not say to remove them from the camera and did assume that all I needed to do in Iphotos was to close it. I did this work on my wife's Imac21 and have searched it thoroughly. I did find files on an old PowerBook G4 for recent additional done on that computer. MacResources did not find the missing Africa pictures there.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Have you tried installing iphotos from the link I have given?

Thank you.

S H E F I N