Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I upgraded from mavericks to capitan and everything was

Customer Question

hey I upgraded from mavericks to capitan and everything was going alright now when booting up i'm stuck on a 99% loading bar (grey screen with apple logo and loading bar)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well I tried safe mode, recovery mode, disk utility repair, SMC reset, PRAM reset on recovery mode I tried to reinstall OSX which seemed to work and then when booting up still stuck at loading bar
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to Time backup
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I meant I Have NO time machine backup
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

What model Mac is that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it's a MacBook pro 2013
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi Thanks for your reply... all of this has already been tried... did not resolve the issue
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

OK but I prefer you do these things in the order so I know for sure... Then your only option if that is ok is to reboot to Recovery HD erase your drive and start over from scratch. Without a backup of course you lose everything. Let me know...

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

You can try to save your files using Target Disk mode with another Mac if that is an issue.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

This is Target Disk Mode you can try and save what you can before you erase and reinstall: target disk mode

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!