Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I'm using MacWord 2011 on a school paper and it locked up

Customer Question

I'm using MacWord 2011 on a school paper and it locked up with 2 hrs worth of work I don't want to lose. help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Reviewing the document and the little Microsoft circle appears and starts spinning continuously
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If it is frozen, then I'm sorry you have to force quit it. There is no other way to unfreeze it and no way to save the document now. But if the Auto recovery functions is turned on, then Word will recover and open the document automatically next time you open Word. Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select Word, Force quit and open it. Does it open the document ?

If not, then check the Autorecovery folder. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Then open Documents folder. Open Microsoft folder and open Autorecovery folder. If you see any files there, then rename the files (to rename, select the file and press return key to bring the selection on name) and add .docx or .doc at the end of the file name and then open it with Word. Do you see your document ?

If not, then I'm really sorry it is gone. There is no other way to get it back if it is not in the Autorecovery folder. Only in rare cases, Word wouldn't save it. If you are not satisfied with my answer, please don't rate me bad or poor. You don't have to rate me anything.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Let me know the results please.