Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I want text messages - iMessage and/or SMS - regardless of

Customer Question

I want text messages - iMessage and/or SMS - regardless of origination - iPhone (6s), iPad(4th gen), or iMac (late 2012) to cross populate. Sometime they do, and sometimes not. Each device is always at latest software update. I have followed all instructions regarding this. Does the iMac need to be on? Shouldn't it refresh its message app when it has been turned on? It appears to me that the originating device always receives the reply and the other devices sometimes do and sometimes don't receive the reply or even the original message. Depending on where I am in my home it would be most convenient to be able to place or respond from any device.
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 10 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. the first thing you need to check is that each device has the latest update for the operating system. The latest updates not only allow for messages to snch across devices, they also allow test messages from non iphone users to be shown in the messages center. Do you know how to update the devices or do you need help with that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Absolutely no help whatsoever.
In my question I already explained that all devices were software current - always. ("Do you know how to update the devices"?)
You have merely told me to maintain the current updates. Already done, done, and done.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 10 months ago.

I apologize. I missed that in your description. I generally start at the very beginning so as not to miss anything. I will open your question up to other experts in order to get you the fastest service, as I am currently tied up with helping another client . Have a good evening.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

On iPhone, closed the Messages app
Signed out of Apple ID (Settings>Messages>Send&Receive > Tapped Apple ID, Signed out)
Turned off iMessage using the toggle switch (Settings>Messages)

Turned back on iMessage using toggle switch
Signed back in Apple ID

Do this on all your portable devices and then tell me if you start receiving them