Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I'm ***** *****. My iTunes 12.3.2.35 (mixed 32/64 version

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Mike, I'm ***** *****. My iTunes 12.3.2.35 (mixed 32/64 version because I have an old video card) has started downloading existing purchases again. It's only happening with recently purchased TV shows. Any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I go to Puchased items to download new episodes it also shows me episodes I already downloaded. If I download them it creates a duplicate file with a 1/2/3... suffix
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Quit iTunes then open Terminal in Applications / Utilities copy and paste this line then hit return:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist

Then delete the problem movies and redownload: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Mike, apparently I'm in the wrong place. I have a Windows computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my problem isn't redownloading problem TV Shows, it's STOPPING iTunes from redownloading files I already have that work just fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes but did you delete them first?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Open iTunes. Click on the Edit menu > Preferences > Advanced tab. Navigate to the Reset iTunes Store cache option and then click on Reset cache:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Mike, that hasn't helped. I tried deleting the existing file and downloading the file (again) shown in 'Purchased' but it still shows as wanting to download. I reset the iTunes store cache. I have attached images of the file properties, the file shown in my iTunes library and the file showing under purchased and awaiting download. I've even tried hiding the extra downloads and they just come back. Bizarre and very frustrating.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you reset the cache?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did (said so in my previous email)
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes sorry. Ok go to Preferences/ Store and turn of Always check for available Downloads

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned off and closed/reopened iTunes. No Change (see attached)
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Uncheck Movies from Automatic Downloads too

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unchecked Movies and TV shows from automatic downloads, restarted iTunes and as I expected, no change. These options are related to files getting downloaded automatically (no user intervention) while my problem is I'm being prompted to download files I already downloaded when I go to review purchased items. I don't think we are getting anywhere. Sorry.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK I'll opt out

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and assist you.

Since this issue has remained despite the normal and routine repair for this type of issue, it may be best if I connect to your computer so I can try further repairs in person. Would you like to speak over the phone and / or have me connect to your PC so I can work on this issue directly?

Or would you prefer to proceed with written support only?

Thank you for your patience and response.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.