Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

Name is ***** *****. I have an issue with Apple iMac (late

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, name is ***** *****. I have an issue with Apple iMac (late 2012) which hangs at start - apple icon, grey screen, task bar at 40% frozen (+24hrs). I have run disc utilities and verified and repaired disc. No peripherals plugged in. I have wireless keyboard. Bit of a loss as to what to do next.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: iMac won't start properly - I have powered off, unplugged and waited, repowered and restarted numerous times.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Try booting into Safe Mode.

If Safe Mode does not allow your system to boot, then the problem is deeper in the OS configuration and drive setup, and the most likely cause is a faulty hard drive.

Try booting from an installation disc and it should allow you to run a repair on the hard drive if it is not completely failed.