Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I took my apple eyepad to get it fixed it wasent charging up

Customer Question

I took my apple eyepad to get it fixed it wasent charging up no matter what cord or conection I used the place I took it to was a little computor store in a small strip mall (first time there) anyway an Asian guy was the owner who said he will look at it and tell me what's wrong for $49 a week later he called said it needs a new portal unit were you plug it in so I said great he said I'll order the part it will be $100 ok so fine get it fixed please he then said there is something wrong with the screen it wasent t put in corectly I let him no that I have had no problem with the screen or my ipad at all it was not loose or crooked the he told me that he is concerned if he opens it up to fix the portal he may need to replace the screen so he d6ays that could be another $100 I'm telling him I did not have a problem with the screen for the year I've had it and y I'm writing to you is because I think I'm being ripped off or just about to can you help me ? Thanks KAREN
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hi karen, and welcome to justanswer.com, My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Most likely, all that needed to be replaced was the battery. It is possible that the DC input jack needed to be replaced, but with the technician telling you hed have to replace the screen as well, I dont put much faith in his diagnosis.

Here is my suggestion, get the ipad back from him. You may be out of the 49$ diagnostic fee but you are clearly being over charged for work that doesnt need to be done.

The most you should ever pay for this service is 99$ total. And thats if your ipad is over 1 year old. If its under a year old apple will repair it for free. Whether its over a year or under a year, the apple page below will help you get a free repair, or pay for the one time repair.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/battery-power/

Apple always warranties their work as well. With that being said, you could replace the battery yourself and save some money. Considering the cost of the battery and the tools you need, it would run your about 50$ to replace it yourself. If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.