Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My imac startup but the screen is black
, imac just

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, my imac startup but the screen is black
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: imac just went black two days ago, tried smc and other suggestions, but I'm using a dell keyboard with the imac, so not sure what would be considered the command button on that keyboard.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.