Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Can't open my Mac air. When I power up I get the screen with

Customer Question

Can't open my Mac air. When I power up I get the gray screen with my profile. When I click on it it asks for my password ***** here's wherewithal gets ugly:I had shut down because when I typed "a" it came up "q", and for "m" I got a comma. NOW because my password ***** with "M" in caps I can't enter it because it looks like I've entered ",yahches" instead of "Myches". I need the capital "m" to get in.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

This is a tough issue, but we should be able to make some progress with it. lets start with a pram reset.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Once it tries to start up, try to type in your password ***** see if it works.. Will it work now?

If not, send a reply and let me know and we will continue working this issue together.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Didn't work. Still rejects password
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now what?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hmm..

Lets try to ascertain if the startup keys are working correctly at all.

try holding down command and R as soon as you press power.. Does this take you to the recovery menu?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Recovery menu I checked reinstall os. It's allowed it to open but same problem a still gives q and m gives , (comma), "w" = "z"
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

What we should be able to do to fix this issue then, is on the recovery menu.

At the top where you see the apple symbol and utilities, go System Preferences > Language and Text and set it to English.

Also make sure that the region is set to US, and that should fix the keyboard issue. And allow you to login

let me know if this helps or not~

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Done as you suggest. No difference
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Were you able to find the language section?

Were you able to set the language and keyboard layout to english, us standard?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all set as you suggest - still no change
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hmmm.. Well we have the software set right.. This could be a fault in your firmware or an actual hardware failure in the keyboard itself.

Do you have a plain corded usb keyboard we could test with, such as this one? http://amzn.to/1PC4uDx

If you dont have one, it might be a good idea to order one.. Since we have the software settings correct, it really only leaves a faulted keyboard.. But before we consider replacing the built in keyboard which is a bit more expensive.. It would be a good idea to test with a USB keyboard first~

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just tried my corded Mac USB keyboard. No improvement.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've just tried ,y corded USB keyboard zith no i,prove,went; qs you can see:
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Question..

The way you just typed.. Are you typing from the problem macbook air currently? Were you able to sign into your user account?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
typed on the problem Mac air (typed this on my iPad mini
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
got into my user Acct - no change
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ok.. If you can sign in with the problem mac air into your user account.

Then.. Lets try to go back to the recovery screen and start the osx reinstall..

( you may need to open a text document first and type each key on your keyboard so you can figure out the exact correlation between what keys your pressing and whats actually being typed )

If we can get your password ***** then we shoudl be able to start the recovery, which may fix the issue.

If not, we may have to update your EFI and SMC firmware.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

Also.. It would be worthwhile to try creating a new admin user account to test with.. See if the problem persists in the new user account~

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I get back to the "recovery scre. n"?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Recovery screen. (Typing this on my mini
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

To get to the recovery screen.

You hold down command and R when you very first press power to turn on the computer.

T hen you click the recovery drive, then you click utilities, then you click disk utility, then click permissions repair.

Then, once that completes, go back to the recovery screen and then click reinstall mac osx.. ( do not choose erase and install )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I shut down?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

To get to the recovery screen, yes.. You have to shut down first. Then~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Disc Repair not an optIon in Disk Utility screen so no permissions repair
Wen t to OS X Base em That set it appears. OK
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry.. I didnt understand the last sentence you wrote.

Can you expand on that and clarify? Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went t o "disc Ut iility" and checked "OX S Base Sys tem. Report says that base stem appears. To beOK. Sez "Verify Disk" Says press "Repair D,Isco Permissioons" but that box is gray and does nothing.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ok..

Now lets shut the mac down, start it again and press command r

This time choose reinstall osx.

let me know what happens~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Goes t
O gray screen w/my profile and asks for password.This is square one Dustin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Doesn't offer a Reinstall. OSX As a choice
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Werent we just in the recovery menu though?

How else did you get to the disk utilities and terminals? I had suggest to hold down command R and then you spoke as if you were in that section.

Before, you even said you made it to reinstall osx, but couldnt type the password ***** correctly.

Maybe you need to try again. Shut down, press power, and immediately press and hold the command and R keys.

Does that take you to a choice where you can choose startup or recovery? or take you directly into the recovery menu?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I get a gray page w/progress bar OK Now I've got OX S Utilities which offers Disc. Utility whis Offers Macento HD. Or. Disc 1 which offers "OS X Base System
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Youre reply dated at this time..

18 Jan 2016, 5:04 PM

So we can get to the recovery menu, as you have before~

So lets keep trying to fully shut down, and start press command and R and see if you can load into the recovery drive again.

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've gotten to OS X Base System.says Verify Disc. I press "Varify" and get "This volume of OS X Base System appears to be OK. There is a box on same screen that says "Repair Disc Permissions" but nothing happens when I press it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't get to my browser to enter that screen
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That screen address
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Here is an image of the screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you get my response to this, Dustin? I got to this page twice and struck out each time. The thread of how I've been bludgeoned by that page is included in gory detail above.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately.. Your reply at 8:13 pm is the first ive seen since I sent you a message at 733.

I hate to ask you to explain it again. But if you made it to the recovery page twice.

What exactly happened when you clicked reinstall osx ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm at downloading OS X Yosemite. About 55 minutes remaining. I'm considering killing myself, Dustin.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

With as much as macs cost, youd expect them to fix themselves right?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because of battery issues I've switched from the MacBook to iPhone to iPad Mini. I'm a friggin' Apple Poster Child. Even so I feel lie Aretha Franklin "I get no respect" WTF..
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

I hear that~ Keep me posted onthe status of the yosemite install~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OS X about 10 minutes to go. I wish I was. More confident it'll be restored to former way to type "a" I'll get an "a". Watch this space...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It opened to the gray page with my profile and request for password: rejected. Square1 after, what? 5 hours?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Question..

How were you able to enter the password ***** and sign into your account?