Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have tried to upgrade to windows 10 about 5 times now.

Customer Question

I have tried to upgrade to windows 10 about 5 times now. Each time it gets almost installed but then stops. I have downloaded my Quicken and picassa programs to flash drives clearing up lots of memery BUT still could not finish installing. What can I do now ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Bryan and welcome

When the installation stops, what error are you given?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last one was not on the list of error codes. before that it was other updates that were solved. Or so I thought.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but what is the error you get please? The Last one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a Mac. Is that ok ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

A mac will have nothing to do with this issue Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No what sorry Bryan?

Sorry but I am confused, I need to know please the error message you get. Nothing about a Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No is for the live phone call. I didn't get a code.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, so what actually happens Bryan when the upgrade fails. What exactly does it say, as it would normally always give an error code,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember what it said. And that was Saturday and I don't see it now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you do the following please.

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to upgrade and let me know the results (if it still fails tell me the exact message it displays please)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. How do I re connest with you ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You return to this web page please, you also have links back here in your emails from us, then post a message of the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, I looked all over my keyboard for a +x and could NOT find one. It took me a while to find CHKDSK but I did and ran it. No problems turned up. I then tried to upgrade again and again it stopped during installation. The ONLY message is " Unknown error" like I told you before. I see that you are a Mac Support Specialist and I am on an HP laptop. If you cannot resolve this issue please give me to someone that can. I am really tired of getting nowhere and wasting my time. that is why I am willing to pay $35. So if you can't do it please rufund my money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody there ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

It was a day later that you replied and I was not online. I am a PC expert.

You are looking for the windows key and X, so X on the keyboard, if you could not find this its not possible to run Chkdsk... so I am not sure how you ran it.

But can you tell me the make and model of the computer please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried the windows and x keys and still went to a " Windows Mobility Center ". I have an HP. Model G62 Notebook. 4 GB: 64 Bit. It also says that " No pen or touch available ".
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, you will have to do a clean installation of windows, then upgrade from this.

First, backup all your files off the computer onto an external hard drive or similar as these will be removed in this process (programs you will need to install again).
Then power off the computer

Power it on and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery manager. If you do not get to this, power off the computer, power it on and keep tapping F11

Once there, choose factory Reset.

Let this complete, then do the upgrade to windows 10 and it will then complete.

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You know what. I am not comfortable doing that myself. So I will have to take it into Best Buy to have it done. Please Refund my $35. And Thank you.