John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I can not get my mail app to open or turn off comp the msg

Customer Question

I can not get my mail app to open or turn off comp the msg says the application mail canceled restart to try again quit mail and choose restart from the apple menu
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.

On your Mac, click the Apple menu in the very far top left of the screen.

Choose "Force Quit..." from the drop-down menu that appears.

In the new window that opens, select Mail in the list and click the "Force Quit" button.

Mail should stop running shortly afterward and allow you restart the Mac.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so that did work but why should I have to do this everytime I use my email it locked up again this has never happened before
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does seem that everything is working slow maybe there is some kind of problem with the software or computer itself

Ok,

this in fact should not happen every time. Are you able to use Mail normally but simply can't Quit it as expected?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but like I said everything is very slow it took several minutes for the computer to even turn on today it had a blank lite up screen for a few minutes than the log on screen came on and after logging on it was slow to respond maybe I should have it checked out @ the Apple Store by my work

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mac OS X version 10.7.5
I did do the update when I was prompted last time I was on the comp

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

(Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

Now see if performance has improved.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Didn't seem to help at least I was able to shut it down I am going to be picking up a new phone this week so I will bring the laptop in with me thanks you have been a lot of help

You are very welcome!

If the current question has been answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

Please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Insert “For John T. F. only” in your initial question and you can, also, submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/