Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

, suddenly wrong characters appear when I type. instead

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: suddenly wrong characters appear when I type. instead of the at symbol I get an exclamation point. I get this Ç instead of slash
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long is a bit
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? When did this problem start ? I mean after any software updates or installation ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just started suddenly. El capitan
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do this please. Go to System Preferences and select Keyboard. Under Keyboard, click Modifier Keys and click Restore Dafaults button.

Then click on Input Sources and what keyboard layout is selected there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that. Not working
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is the entire layout of keyboard changed ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard. Click on Input Sources. Click the + button and add English > British. Remove the US.

Then check. Is it still showing wrong characters ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The entire keyboard is not changed. Just some characters when shift keynisndpressed. I also used my original apple wireless keyboard. .ms American thing
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard. Click on Input Sources. Click the + button and add English > British. Remove the US by clicking - button. Check keys

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not done british
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Your Mac can enter different characters when you depress Option + characters, Option + Shift + Characters etc

So tap on Option both of left and right a few times and does it clear ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to work now. I will try later. However I've done everything you have suggested. The only thing I haven't done in a British but I'm not sure if this is going to solve the problem anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried typing on the option key to clear. I will see if that will work later. Is there a way that we can discuss this around 11:30 Eastern Standard Time
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can continue later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get backt to later. Change it to British layout. This is to test it. You can change it back to US later.

It is possible that the option key is stuck in depressed state (inside it due to dirt or liquid). We may need to clean it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's a physical problem. Because I have tried to separate keyboard and it can't be that two keyboards are experiencing the same problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard. I bought it back in November and has been worth it working perfectly. Suddenly I get this problem. I tried switching back this morning to my old Apple Wireless. But still the same problem
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Then it should be software related. We can try some basic troubleshooting steps when you are back

When you are back, please post a reply in here and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will post back around 11:30 Eastern Standard Time
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Change the layout to British and remove US. Then check. I also want you to create a new admin account and test on that account. This will tell us whether it is related to user account or system wide and help us to move to right direction.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then talk to you on 11:30. Take Care

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I will post some troubleshooting steps, so you can try when you have time.

We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Check Keyboard.

If it doesn't work, then create a new admin account and test keyboard on that account. If it works on new account, we can troubleshoot old account.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on for a while
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Did you try my suggestions ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not working
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What about in a new admin test account ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried rebooting but disk utility never came up
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key for 10 seconds and this will bring Startup manager. Select Recovery HD and press return. This will boot into OS X Utilities screen. Run Disk Utility from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. ...is there a better way to communicate than this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Through this mode I can give you instructions and you can take your time and do this at your convienience. There is phone support, but it is additional $20

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

After running Disk Utility, I want you to create a new admin user account from System Preferences > Users & Groups. Then sign out from Apple menu and sign in to new account. Test Keys. If it works in there, then we can troubleshoot old account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well so far nothing is working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant get disk utilities to start. Nothing is working
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is very strange is that it isn't boot into OS X Utilities. Not sure if any key is being depressed on of your keyboard. You said you are using Logitech wireless keyboard. Can you remove the batteries from it and try with other keyboard ?

Remove the keyboard receiver adapter from yoru Mac if it is connected

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

One of your keyboard must be sending some key input to your Mac. This could be the reason why it is not booting into OS X Utilities. The combination to boot into OS X Utilities is Command and R. If any other keys depressed along with it (on any keyboard), it won't boot into it.

Remove the Logitech receiver adapter from your Mac and remove the batteries from the Logitech keyboard. Then test only with Apple keyboard.

If that didn't work, then remove the battery from Apple keyboard and test with logitech only.

If you have a wired keyboard there, then remove batteries from both keyboard and test with wired keyboard only. This will rule out the keyboards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keyboard is solar....no batteries. After restarting i press and hold keys you said and nothing but just a restart occurs. I have reached my frustration threshold. I think I need to call apple support
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Please try my above suggestion. If there is no battery on it, then remove the receiver of Logitech keyboard from your Mac or turn it off then.