Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am unable to access my email, contacts or calendar from my

Customer Question

I am unable to access my email, contacts or calendar from my phone. Verizon and I have gone through ALL of their troubleshooting scripts and they have stated I need to contact you (Outlook) to fix the issue since the phone is working as expected. Please advise next step.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please the part of your email address AFTER the @ symbol

And the make and model of your phone?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My email address is***@******.***. I have an Apple iPhone 5S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you responded? I'm having trouble figuring out how to navigate this chat.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Whats the issue you encounter when you try to access this email account? Incorrect password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to go into my mail box, I get an error message that states "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server failed." Verizon and I reset the phone, deleted and added the email account and verified the password. This was after I had turned the phone off twice and reset the network settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't give you all that in the correct order. The phone was RESTORED, not reset and it was done last.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

If you click on my link below, are you able to sign into your account?

www.outlook.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already verified that I was able to access my email on-line before I contacted Verizon. I am still able to access my on-line account.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

What is the make and model of the phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I stated earlier, it is an Apple iPhone 5S.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Can you go to the App Store and download the app outlook

Install this and sign into your account within the app.

Tell me if it allows you to please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
loading it from app store now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is asking me to add an account. Do I add my email account again to this site?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is accessing my email from the cloud. correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got an error message. It says I am unable to log in. the connection timed out and I have to contact my system admin for support.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, it is logiing into your email account online. This is always the case.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, on the iphone go to www.outlook.com

Can you sign in via this method?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you go there via Safari

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I can't get my email from the mailbox either. I don't have the cloud activated on my phone because I don't like it. I am able to get everything because I have cellular data chosen on my phone in settings.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am not exactly sure what cloud your referring to.... the phone just needs to be online.

When you did my last instructions, what stopped you from completing them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error message stopped me.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I think you missed the last instructions I gave, you need to open Safari on the Iphone then go to www.outlook.com and try to sign in there please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it opened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still can't get any mail when I click on the envelope icon and I don't have my contacts back either.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

no you wont until you add the account to the phone

When you used the outlook app, you choose outlook.com correct? The middle icon when selecting an account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by middle icon, but yes, I used the outlook.com. My email account is already on my phone. Do you want me to delete and add it again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I chose outlook.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, I can see my emails on the website, but not on the envelope icon.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am not talking now about the website....

I think your getting my instructions mixed up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

when you sign in on that page in the app, before you said you got an error, was that the case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO. I think you are having trouble with communication. I don't know what you want to call it, but when I logged on in Safari, I was able to see my emails. Whatever you want to call that site. I am STILL trying to recover the emails in my email icon on my iPhone wallpaper. The emails do not show up there. And I am not going to pay an extra $20 to talk on the phone!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am not talking about Safari, that was a test we did some time ago.

I am talking about this outlook app I had you download, the screen shots I have been showing you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am too! I logged on in Safari and saw those pages as I was logging on. I have outlook up and running through Safari.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting on you to catch up to me here.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will word it differently.

Forget about Safari for now please, that was just a test. I am now talking about the outlook app I had you download

Not Safari..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the outlook app up and running.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, before you said you got the error when signing into the outlook app

" the connection timed out and I have to contact my system admin for support."

Is this the case In the outlook app?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are WAY PAST THAT!!!!! FORGET THAT. That error was corrected when you had me log on via Safari. You need to read you own notes! I have NO ERROR MESSAGES. Outlook is running (as I have stated numerous times) on the web. I am waiting for you to tell me how I can get it working on my icon on the iPhone wallpaper.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The notes, which scrolling up you can see are

Thanks

Tell me if it allows you to please.

---

loading it from app store now.

---

---

yes please

---

got an error message. It says I am unable to log in. the connection timed out and I have to contact my system admin for support.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So hence why I am trying to get clarity out of you as to whether or not you can log into the outlook app I had you download , as you have told me you get an error and also told me that you can without an error.

Its not a trivial thing, I need to know the correct answer here in order to know how to move forward

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Not outlook on the web but outlook in the app I had you download

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IF outlook is up and running, I think you can assume that I was able to log into the app you had me download. I thought that was clear. Obviously, I wasn't. My mistake. My phone is currently allowing me to access outlook.com via the APP. Was that clear?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Please understand I am not going to assume as outlook means both the website and the app, If i just assume thenwe are just wasing our time on mis information. Thank you for clarifying the App is now working.

Now, close the app and go to Settings, Mail

Is there an outlook account listed there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Now that you have stated outlook means both the app and the web, we have an issue. The APP is still giving us the admin support error message. Outlook only opened and worked on the web.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I am going to opt out of working on this further.

you do not need to do anything, you will be notified when another expert takes over your case.

Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I believe I will find an answer elsewhere.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I have a suggestion. I want you to add Outlook as an Exchange account rather than Outlook.com address. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar. Tap Exchange. Now enter your username (full email) and password ***** are you able to add it ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can add it manually.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If that didn't work, then go to Settings > Mail, Conacts, Calendars. Tap Other. Tap Add Mail account and add your Outlook account. Does it accept your account details ?