Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just upgraded to OS X 10.11.3 and am having problems with

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** ***** I just upgraded to OS X 10.11.3 and am having problems with my Quark 9.3
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My color palette does not have the usual letter, background color controls and Quark crashes when I move or duplicate a text box.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Susie

As the first step, can you close all programs.

Then open Finder and click on Go to folder

Type in

~/library

Press enter

Then go to the folder preferences.

Locate Quark, drag it to the trash and then open Quark

Tell me if it now operates correctly please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Richard, I did not see your reply until this morning before leaving for appointments, sorry! I just did as instructed. My color palette is back, but overtime I move a text or picture box Quark crashes. Any more suggestions?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now Quark will not open at all.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have restarted the computer twice, but Quark will still not open. HELP!
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately only version 9.5.4.1 will work with El Capitan you can try updating here but I have found it is difficult once you have already upgraded you need to do it before you upgrade: http://www.quark.com/support/downloads/Details.aspx?fid=277

Let me know

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

You may need to start with an earlier update like 9.3.1 see here: http://www.quark.com/support/downloads/Search_Results.aspx?pid=1&oid=2&ftid=2

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now not only will Quark not open but my scanner will not work even though I did the updates and Illustrator will not open either since getting rid of the Quark folder in preferences. What a mess. Of course, I have deadlines to meet. Is there anything I can do to get up and running?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Removing the Quark Preferences should not affect any of those other apps. Let's check some things: Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then sDisk Utilityelect Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Mike. I am afraid to try anything right now... need to leave to see a client so will think about this until I come back. Will contact you then. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

OK this is normal maintenance, let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Mike. After following your last set of instructions, my computer crashed. My computer guy came over for 4 hours today to get it up and running. This has been a very costly day. Since your info did not help at all, I do not feel I should have to pay the last $25. Sorry.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Crashed? what does that even mean I'm sure your "tech" guy did exactly what I suggested you can ask customer service for a refund