Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Mac was working fine at around 40% battery life left. I

Customer Question

Hi my Mac was working fine at around 40% battery life left. I plugged in the charger and the screen went black. The light on the charger isn't on and nothing is responding
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com.

lets try these two steps to see if we can get some life back into your mac.

First, unplug the charger if its plugged in.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

If you cant get that to trigger.. Lets try the following next

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

the second option is more likely to be the one needed. But lets try both and see if this helps the situation, or not.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Neither worked, I had tried these before. The computer won't respond at all so it won't turn on/off. It's just a black screen with no lights or anything.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Question.. When you plug in the magsafe charger. Do any of the charging lights light up, turn green, orange, flicker?

Also, does it feel like the charger is "snapping" into place?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. No lights come on at all. Yes it does snap in to place
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

In that case.. We need to figure out if you need to replace the battery, or if we need to replace the charger.

Do you have an apple store nearby? Im sure they would let you test a new charger for free if you talk to the "Genius bar" inside the store.

If you dont have an apple store nearby, you could purchase a charger from best buy or someplace similar. And then immediately return it for a refund if it doesnt work.

But we definitely need to isolate whether this is the charger.. Or the battery.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will take it to the Genius Bar to have them look at it. I probably won't be able to get there until later this week and I was trying to avoid that but it looks like that's what I need to do