Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I bought my parents an IMAC in May, 2015. Both parents have

Customer Question

I bought my parents an IMAC in May, 2015. Both parents have passed away and I do not know the password ***** the IMAC. I have the receipt from Best Buy where I bought the computer. How can I find or change the password. I took it to Best Buy but they were unable to help me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm sorry about your loss. You can easily reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below;

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. This will Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain. If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.