Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Having trackpad and keyboard issues on my 2008 macbook pro

Customer Question

Having trackpad and keyboard issues on my 2008 macbook pro 13" 2gb ram 120 gb ssd
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Chris and welcome

Can you tell me please the issues that your having with the trackpad and keyboard?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After a recent software update and restart the trackpad still moves the cursor but clicking does not work, the keyboard also has limited functionality. I tried ealrier this morning to run the time machine recovery option off of my external hard drive but without the option of clicking or any keyboard shortcuts i cannot active the backup/ restore settings from time machine. The laptop seems to boot normally with the exception of the trackpad and keyboard issues and my original wallpaper was replaced with half dome and all my files that are normally on my desktop are missing. The other thing i noticed on bootup is it typically goes straight to my profile/ password ***** and now there are 3 options (my profile, a mac book pro profile, and a guest profile) which i've never seen before. I'm thinking it defintely has something to do with the software update, i've never had any issues with my trackpad and keyboard before but have heard they can sometimes stop working unexpectedly. Even if i picked up an external keyboard/ mouse/ trackpad i don't even think i'd be able to link them since i can't click on anything anyways. Have you ever heard of this happening before? Its a 2008 mac book pro 13" screen, upgraded about 2.5yrs ago with a 120gb solid state drive and 2gb memory upgrade... Havent had any issues with it at all until this software update. Is there another way to manually reinstall os x or run my time machine without going through the normal process? Like safe mode? When i tried time machine i started the cpu and held command-r to bring up the options but like i said before between the track pad and keyboard i couldn't continue the process of selecting and continuing...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that Chris, and yes, issues like this can occur at times following an update, so we will go though a number of remedies.

As the first step

1. hut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Tell me how it then operates please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slower reboot than normal, but still experiencing same problem
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** then attempt this please

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any additional fees to do this over the phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes there is, but there is no need for this, and I work online here as its too hard to convey specific instructions to most people over the phone.

Can you do the last instructions I gave please, and let me know the results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that already earlier this morning, without the function of the trackpad i cannot click on anything, and the keyboard has also been non responsive unless there is a shortcut key that works as enter/ continue that i have not tried...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No there is not sorry.

Power off the Mac,

Then hold SHIFT and keep it held and power it on which enters safe mode.

Tell me how it then functions please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already tried that as well with no luck...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok sorry I did not see any of this in what you already tried when making the question

Then you will need to get an external keyboard and mouse and then your best to try to restore the time machines backup, it should function via an external keyboard and mouse.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to go out and buy an external keyboard and mouse, but concerned that will not work either since i have never used them before and i don't think they'll magically sync up with the computer if its stuck in its current state...is there some kind of boot mode i can try? I tired the command-v option earlier but probably wasn't utilizing it correctly... The keyboard was working then as i noticed when it went into this mode and i has still holding command-v that some v's popped up on the screen while it was going through that boot mode...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The boot mode is only the hard disk repair method we tried, its also where you reinstall, and if you cannot do anything there, then your really out of options.

USB keyboards and mouse should work, even a windows one, but if you do not have one, your likely best to go to a mac store, or a computer store and ask to test one first, just to make sure, as I would not want you to invest in one if it will not work due to this issue (which would then result in you returning the Mac to the Apple store as they would need to reimage the disk via another computer).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank for your time and advice but it really hasn't helped at all... Where do I go to get my money back?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund