Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics.
23511658

My mini mac uses my internet data allocation continuously. I

Customer Question

My mini mac uses my internet data allocation continuously.
I believe it has something to do with 'ns url sessionD'
I have upgraded my OS from yosemite to el capitan with no change.
The internet connection is normally left open and the only way to stop this problem is turning it off.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

This ns url SessionD is something that is only really available in the iOS SDK version 7 and up. It should not be affecting you on yosemite. Do you have anything in particular that works with your phone on the mac that could be trying to access the device?

Are you able to turn it off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Our data comes across a cellular data network - could this have something to do with it.

Ah... yes. That would explain it.

This is being caused by the iOS device that you are connecting through. Like I mentioned, it is part of the iOS SDK, which means it can be caused by any app that you have installed. The best way to combat this is either a reset of the phone (rather drastic - and if you do this, and then did a restore, the problem will restore back), or to uninstall apps until you find the offending software.

It's definitely something on the phone, though... not the computer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Michael - I also chatted with an Apple Support person and while doing so the nsurssessiond suddenly stopped receiving data.
Apple support denies any involvement in the fix - I have my suspisions !!!
There was an IP address in the nsurlsessiond process which suddenly disappeared.

LOL! Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm definitely on the same side of that conspiracy as you are!

Funny... we know EXACTLY where the problem was originating - just not what was originating it - and it was their OS, and chatting wit them magically solved it? Hmmm... Hey... when I am chatting with someone and they thank me for fixing something, whether I touched it or not, I say "you're welcome" if there's any chance I fixed it. I wonder if there is something they have in there that was causing that. What version of iOS was on the device? Very interesting story here :-/. What about all the charges you incurred already though? Data charges, right? I don't know if you care about the specifics. If not skip this paragraph.

The NSURLSession class and related classes provide an API for downloading content. This API provides a rich set of delegate methods for supporting authentication and gives your app the ability to perform background downloads when your app is not running or, in iOS, while your app is suspended.

Now. there are a ton of sub-classes here, too. And it involves quite complex class interactions, so it can pop up just from bad coding.

Let me know if it comes back.

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service using the "Excellent" rating icon. Or if I wasn't excellent, OK, or Good (those get me paid for my help, too). Thank you.

I just realized I missed the opportunity to tell you that I was fixing it while you were chatting with Apple... but that would have been a bit of a stretch.